As the season starts to wind down Shannon reunites with her former player at UMD and 4 time Olympic Gold Medalist Caroline Ouellette
Hockey Talk, sponsored by ugo Wear is presented by Shannon Miller
Podcast length: 35′ 40″
Shannon Miller’s guest this week is 4 time Olympic Gold Medalist Caroline Ouellette. Caroline also competed at 12 World Championships, winning gold in 6 and silver in 6 – Caroline is also an NCAA Champion both as an athlete and a coach. Caroline played for Shannon at UMD winning an NCAA Championship, and then came back and coached with her and won another NCAA Championship. A great athlete, coach, and human being.
The Drill of the Week is on Shannon’s Facebook page @coachshannonmiller
- You were a great young player in Quebec, we recruited you, and you played for us at UMD. You had a very successful college career as a talented player, a trusted teammate and a great leader. How did you become so strong in all those areas at such a young age?
- I can tell you out of all the players I have ever coached in my lifetime, you are one of my favorite human beings, and will remain so for all time. After you graduated, I was fortunate to have you come back and be an assistant coach for a few years – you were remarkable to work with – How did being a great player help you transition to become a great coach?
- You played for TC for so many years – you’ve experienced so much success and some so called “failures” – share some of the lessons you’ve learned from winning and from losing.
- As a player on the National Team, how did your role change over the years and how did you adjust?
- What was your approach in “handling pressure” as an Olympic athlete?
- There are many different personalities and egos on an elite team – you’ve been a captain and team leader many times – give us some examples of issues you’ve dealt with and how you dealt with them?
- You have retired after a long and successful playing career with TC – you are now coaching elite athletes – as a coach, how do you help your athletes handle pressure?
- What does a Championship Attitude mean to you?
- There is a big difference between a “winning mindset” and any other kind of a mindset for an athlete or coach. What is your winning mindset? Was your “winning mindset” different when you were an athlete than what it is now as a coach?
- Have you seen the new NIKE commercial that is out called ‘Dream Crazier’? What do you think about the messages in that commercial?
- Gender bias is alive and well in our society – Give us examples of what you do to help create social change in this area, in hopes that it will give guidance to those that are listening.
- You carried and birthed a child – Liv – you, and partner Julie Chu have a child, and are both actively coaching – tell us a little bit about ‘little Liv’, and what your lives are like now?