Maricarmen focuses on managing a lack of appetite, especially in endurance athletes, and offers loads of advice on how to plan an manage your hunger and thirst
Sound Bites is hosted by Maricarmen Farias
Podcast length: 10′ 34″
What should athletes do if they do not get hungry after a long session? Maricarmen addresses why this happens on this episode and some of the practices that you should avoid at all costs if your goal is to achieve lasting health. Also recognizing the signs that might indicate you are not losing weight in a healthy way and some tips that you can start implementing right away, in order to create a healthy lifestyle.
- hormones stimulate hunger – when we exercise it gets suppressed
- heat – if body temperature is high it won’t be looking for food but instead trying to cool down
- amount of body fat also influences appetite
- if you carry more fat you may experience less appetite
- train to eat
- are you truly not hungry or avoiding food to lose weight
- under eating will not help you – it will only affect performance and health
- drink more – smoothies, add electrolytes
- introduce supplements
- cool down your body – have a cold drink or cold shower to get your appetite back
- wait to work out after eating so have a plan
- practice ways to manage your hunger – have a plan – you don’t have to eat right away but don’t wait too long
- Should you eat whatever just to get calories – quality is important – see how you feel after a sweet snack – don’t eat anything that doesn’t help you.
- Always keep in mind that weight loss and health are not the same thing. You can lose weight by developing unhealthy habits.
LISTEN to more episodes of Sound Bites HERE